Camp Hewitt

Feature Type:District Municipality (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a district municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status: Lookup the official name
Relative Location: W side of Okanagan Lake, SW of Kelowna, Osoyoos Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°46'25"N, 119°44'10"W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: WGS84
NTS Map: 82E/13

Origin Notes and History:

Mining camp named after Augustus ("Gus") Hewitt, prospector and logger in the early 1890's. John Moore Robinson established an irrigated subdivision here in 1897, promoting the agricultural possibilities by calling the property "Peachland". Hewitt, meanwhile, was running the hotel at Okanagan Landing, and in 1901 built the hotel that is still standing there now.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office