Twigg Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status: Lookup the official name
Relative Location: N of Lulu Island in the North Arm of the Fraser River, in Richmond, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°12'08''N, 123°06'08''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/3

Origin Notes and History:

Twigg Island adopted 11 February 1936 on 92G/3, situated immediately west of Mitchell Island; not "Twiggs Island" as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. The channel between the two islands (Twigg and Mitchell) was subsequently filled, creating a single island. Twigg Island rescinded 3 May 1951 on 92G, and the name Mitchell Island extended to apply to the larger landmass.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after John James Connolly Twigg, who owned the island 1889-1926, having bought it from James Bell, Crown Grantee. Twigg, an Irishman and a second cousin of General Twigg (grandfather of Mrs.W.C.Woodward, Vancouver) eventually returned to Ireland and died there.

Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions

"Of the small islands, only Mitchell's Island was thickly covered with small spruce and cedar; on Twigg's Island, known first as Mason's Island and now as Bell's Island, there were some spruce trees and considerable crabapple...." (History of Lulu Island by Thomas Kidd; Wrigley Printing Company; 1927, p.17)

Source: included with note