Mitchell Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N of Lulu Island in the North Arm of the Fraser River, in Richmond, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°12'09''N, 123°05'31''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/3

Origin Notes and History:

Mitchell Island adopted 11 February 1936 on 92G/3, as labelled on Geological Survey sheet #1965, Fraser River Delta, 1923, and as identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Application extended 3 May 1951 on 92G, to include the area immediately westward, formerly known as Twigg Island - the channel between the islands having been filled sometime in the mid-1930s to create a single island. Application further extended 7 May 1959 on 92G/SW, to include the area immediately westward, formerly known as Eburne Island - the channel between the islands having being filled sometime in the early 1950s to create a single, large island.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Today's Mitchell Island was originally three islands: Mitchell, Twigg (or Twiggs), and Eburne; as the channels separating the islands were filled, the name "Mitchell" was retained for the resulting larger landmass, as this was the name of the original Crown Grantee, Alexander Mitchell.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office