Lytton

Feature Type:Village (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a village municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: At junction of Fraser and Thompson Rivers, Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°13'52''N, 121°34'53''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92I/4

Origin Notes and History:

Lytton (Post Office & Railway Station) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 408A, as labelled on BC map 2B, 1914. Incorporated as a Village Municipality 3 May 1945; subsequently confirmed as Lytton (Village) (date not cited).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named in 1858 by Governor Douglas, after Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873), Colonial Secretary at the time the village was established, and later Earl of Lytton. Note conflicting birth/death dates in some biographical dictionaries. See Akrigg for additional biographical information. Lytton Post Office was opened in 1872 (specific date not cited).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

This was once the site of an Indian village called Camchin, meaning approximately "crossing over". The short-lived Hudson's Bay Company's Fort Dallas was also located here.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Camchin.....which means "the great fork".

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa