Qalogwis

Feature Type:Former First Nation Village - A place formerly inhabited by First Nations' people, with no current population or that is usually uninhabited.
Status: Lookup the official name
Relative Location: SW side of Turnour Island, between Johnstone and Queen Charlotte Straits, Range 1 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°34'45''N, 126°29'45''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92L/9

Origin Notes and History:

Translation: "bent beach". The name has also been written kalugwis, Karlukwees. See Karlukwees

Source: Museum at Campbell River (spring 2001)

This old village site was formerly occupied by the Kwakiutl who relocated to Vancouver Island sometime in the mid1800's. About 1850 the Tlawitsis moved here from Klaoitsis (Dawson 1887:65). IR #1 Karlukwees was allotted in 1886. There were 21 houses in 1914 (Galois 1994:184-185). Qalogwis figures prominently in a number of Kwakwaka'wakw tales including one explaining the origins of the Winter Ceremonies and another describing the origin of tides at Qalogwis.

Source: Museum at Campbell River (spring 2001)

Published references to this site (including maps): Boas, Franz, "Geographical Names of the Kwakiutl Indians" Columbia University Contributions to Anthropology 20, New York, 1934 (map 14/75); Dawson, George, "Notes and Observations on the Kwakiool People of the Northern Part of Vancouver Island and Adjacent Coasts" Transactions of the Royal Society of Canada, 1887; and Galois, Robert, "Kwakwaka'wakw Settlements, 1775 - 1920: A geographical analysis and Gazeteer" UBC Press, Vancouver, 1994 (maps Kw 18, Tt 13).

Source: Museum at Campbell River (spring 2001)