Mamalilaculla (settlement) adopted 3 June 1954 on C.3568, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart A581, published in 1867 from surveys of 1860-65, and as labelled on Admiralty Chart 3387, publish in 1904 from surveys of 1901. Form of name changed to Mamalilaculla (locality) 15 February 1983. No longer inhabited according to Department of Indian & Northern Affairs; confirmed November 1987 by BC Forest Service & Hydrographic Service (file A.1.40). BC recommended to Ottawa that status be changed to "Former Locality" or name be rescinded, although no further action was taken by CPCGN or by Department of Indian & Northern Affairs. Spelling changed to Meem Quam Leese (locality) 30 September 1998 on 92L/10, upon receiving advice from Tom Sewid, Mamaleleqala Band (file A.1.40). Note that Mr. Sewid also provided a pamphlet using the spelling "Memqumlis".
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
Mamalelekala [sic] is a Kwakiutl tribe on Village Island; their only town is Memkumlis, which they jointly occupy with the Koeksotenok [sic]. The population was estimated at about 2000 in 1836-41; in 1911 it numbered 90. (Boaz, F., American Geographical Society, vol XIX, no.3, 1887, reprinted in Handbook of the Indians of Canada, 1913). The name of their village, Memkumlis, means "village with rocks and islands out front".