Memkoomlish

Feature Type:Village (2) - An unincorporated populated place.
Status: Lookup the official name
Relative Location: W end of Village Island, E of Port McNeill, Range 1 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°37'10''N, 126°34'30''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92L/10

Origin Notes and History:

Translation: "round things [islands] in front at beach" (Boas 1969:11/65), or "group of little islands" (Mungo Martin). The name has also been written 'mimkumlis and 'Mi'mkwamlis. The official name of the present day village is Meem Quam Leese (the spelling provided in 1998 by Tom Sewid, Mamaleleqala Band); the band also publishes a pamphlet using the spelling "Memqumlis".

Source: Museum at Campbell River (spring 2001)

When Gwayasdums was destroyed by the Nuxalk in the 1850's most of the surviving Kwiksootainuk joined the Mamalilikulla at Memkoomlish. The village was alloted as Mamililkullah IR #1 in 1886. In 1892 it was partially destroyed by fire and rebuilt.

Source: Museum at Campbell River (spring 2001)