Endako

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W of Fraser Lake, between Fort Fraser and Burns Lake, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°05'22''N, 125°01'41''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93K/3

Origin Notes and History:

Endako (Post Office & Station) adopted 15 July 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 631A, Fort Fraser, as labelled on BC Lands' map 3B, 1914 et seq, and as identified in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924. Form of name changed to Endako (community) 21 December 1982 on 93K/3.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Exact location & date of opening of GTPR Endako Station not recorded. Endako Post Office was opened 7 May 1913, situated near the east boundary of Lot 3833. Named in association with Endako River, labelled on maps since 1879.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.