Ellison

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just SE of Kelowna airport, Osoyoos Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°56'25''N, 119°21'50''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82E/14

Origin Notes and History:

Ellison (settlement) adopted 1 December 1955 on 82E/NW as long-identified in postal and school records; originally identified as "9 miles NE of Kelowna." Subsequently changed to Ellison (community), situated just beyond the E boundary of expanded Kelowna city limits.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Ellison Post Office was opened 1 May 1912, Thomas Clinton, postmaster; situated on SW 1/4 Sec 12, Tp 7, W6M. Closed 15 May 1920.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after Price Ellison (1852-1932), who settled here in 1876, and at one time owned or controlled 80% of the property in the area. In 1910, as a cabinet minister in the McBride government, Ellison and his daughter Myra accompanied a party of surveyors to explore and establish boundaries for what would become, the following year, Strathcona Park - British Columbia's first provincial park.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

After Price Ellison (1852-1932), long an extensive stock raiser and wheat grower here; came from Manchester to British Columbia in 1876; MLA, 1898-1916; appointed Commissioner of Lands, 1909, Minister of Finance and Agriculture, 1910. Died December 10, 1932, aged 81. (12th Report of the Okanagan Historical Society, 1948) See also Ellison Park.

Source: included with note

Survived by daughters and sons: Mrs. A.H. Soverign; Myra (Mrs. Howard Debeck); Elizabeth; Bert; Vernon; Price; Herbert. (from Mr. Ellison's obituary, published in The Province, 12 December 1932).

Source: Provincial Archives' Place Names File (the "Harvey File") compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions