Lang Lake

Feature Type:Lake - Inland body of standing water.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Expansion of Templeton River, SE of Golden, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°50'41''N, 116°25'43''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82K/16

Origin Notes and History:

Longs Lake adopted 20 January 1955 on Columbia River Basin manuscript 45, as labelled on BC maps 4G, 1914, and 1EM, 1915. Spelling changed to Lang Lake 12 May 1965 on 82K/NE, the correct form of the family name.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After Frank Lang, former Mining Recorder for the Golden Mining Division of East Kootenay, who pre-empted Lot 9564 adjacent to this lake 8 August 1907 (PR 622). The 1910 survey of Lot 9564 identifies this as "Fish Lake" (FB 1S4/10 ph 125); the 1911 survey of the same lot labels this "Lang's Lake" (FB 4246/11 ph 132), although the handwriting is difficult to decipher and probably explains how the feature was mis-labelled "Longs Lake" on subsequent maps. BC Mines Reports identify F. C. Lang as Mining Recorder, Golden, 1896 through 1905.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office