Langdale

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side of Howe Sound just NE of Gibsons (municipality), New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°26'00''N, 123°28'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92G/6

Origin Notes and History:

Langdale (steamer landing) adopted 3 July 1958 on C.3586. Form of name changed to Langdale (community) 13 May 1983 on 92G/6.

Source: BC place name cards & correspondence, and/or research by BC Chief Geographer & Geographical Names Office staff.

This ferry terminal on Howe Sound is named after a certain Langdale who pre-empted land on [Langdale] Creek in 1892.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; "1001 British Columbia Place Names"; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1973.