Mount Harper

Feature Type:Mount - Variation of Mountain: Mass of land prominently elevated above the surrounding terrain, bounded by steep slopes and rising to a summit and/or peaks. ["Mount" preceding the name usually indicates that the feature is named after a person.]
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S of Paul Lake, just NE of Kamloops, Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°43'04''N, 120°07'42''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92I/9

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 4 June 1926 on Ottawa file OBF 1140; an established name according to 1925 advice from C.H. Taggart.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after early ranchers.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"In 1861 Jerome and Thaddeus Harper established the ranch that still bears their name, following cattle drives from the States to the Cariboo. They soon developed the huge empire which included the Gang Ranch and land at Clinton and Kelly Lake. Jerome died in 1874 and Thaddeus went bankrupt in 1889."

Source: Place Names of the Kamloops District; Kamloops Museum, 1978