D'Arcy

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: On BCR at S end of Anderson Lake, between Pemberton and Lillooet, Lillooet Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°33'00''N, 122°29'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92J/9

Origin Notes and History:

D'Arcy (Post Office) adopted 6 September 1951 on 92J, as labelled on BC map 3K, 1920 et seq. Form of name changed to D'Arcy (locality) 15 April 1983 on 92J/9; changed to D'Arcy (community) 29 November 1984.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

D'Arcy Post Office was opened 1 January 1916, named in association with the PGER station of the same name; Charles Press first postmaster; post office closed 31 May 1917; re-opened 16 May 1918.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"D'Arcy Tate, vice-president of PGER... [is] overseeing construction [of the railway line] that commenced at Lillooet earlier this year." (Victoria Colonist 5 October 1912)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"After D'Arcy Tate, KC, vice president and general counsel, PGER, 1912-18; formerly solicitor for GTP."

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions

On site of Port Anderson? [1858-1913] (Laing, Colonial Settlers...p.249)

Source: Provincial Archives of BC "Place Names File" compiled 1945-1950 by A.G. Harvey from various sources, with subsequent additions