Monroe Creek

Feature Type:Creek (1) - Watercourse, usually smaller than a river.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Flows SW into Fraser River at Lamming Mills (community), just above McBride, Cariboo Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°21'19"N, 120°14'37"W at the approximate mouth of this feature.
Datum: WGS84
NTS Map: 93H/8

Origin Notes and History:

Monroe Creek adopted 12 March 1965 on 93H, as submitted 31 May 1940 by Water Rights Branch. Mount Monroe adopted at the same time.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The stream flowing southwest through Lot 5341 into the Fraser River is labelled "Tumbledick Creek" on BC map 3H, Tete Jaune, 1914, 1915, 1919, 1923, 1931, 1947, 1951 & 1958. Sketch to accompany first water licence application [date not cited] identifies this as "East Tumbledick (Monroe) Creek." This main channel has since been re-named Monroe Creek and the name "Tumbledick" assigned to a tributary on the north side. Large scale photos indicate that the lower channel has been diverted by road constructions and now flows south through Lot 3323 into the Fraser River at 53 21 14 - 120 14 37, more than 1 km above (east) of the original mouth.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Monroe family hold DL 9385, DL 9319, W 1/2 DL 3323 and NE 1/4 DL 5341 Cariboo (Water Rights file 0139220, 1940) - the original and expanded holdings of George Clarence Monroe, who came into the area as a supplier/outfitter for the advance crew of the GTP Railroad in 1912 and pre-empted land between McBride and McKale River in 1913-14.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office