Monck Park

Feature Type:Provincial Park - Legally defined land area, under provincial jurisdiction, for camping, outdoor recreation, and preservation of wildlife.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side of Nicola Lake, NE of Merritt, Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°10'38''N, 120°32'16''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92I/2

Origin Notes and History:

Established by Order in Council 2295, 28 September 1951. Redescribed per OIC 845/60, the whole containing 87 ha. more or less. Boundary redescribed per Bill 24-2007: Parks and Protected Areas Statutes Amendment Act, 3 May 2007; the whole containing approximately 118 hectares (92 hectares of upland and 26 hectares of foreshore).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Name suggested by Charles Sydney Goldman, owner of the Nicola Valley Stock Farm, who gifted this property for a provincial park. Goldman's younger son is Victor Robert Penryn Monk Monck, who served the Royal Navy during WW II as Cmdr. Monck, and in 1949 married the Hon. Isolde Sheila Butler, sister of 28th Lord Duboyne. The older son changed his name also, but took the name "Monckton". Not clear when or why they changed their family name from Goldman to Monck / Monckton. (Debrett's clippings, received in 1994, on file M.2.28)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office