Lebahdo

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Slocan River just S of Winlaw, between Castlegar and Slocan, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°36'00''N, 117°35'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82F/12

Origin Notes and History:

Lebahdo (station) adopted 19 January 1956 on Columbia River Basin manuscript 63, as labelled on BC map 1EM, 1915. Form of name changed to Lebahdo (locality) 23 February 1976 on 82F. Form of name changed to Lebahdo (community) 29 November 1984 on Ottawa file 203-2.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Formerly CPRs "Watson's Siding" (April 2006 information from historian Greg Nesteroff, Castlegar). "In 1905, [John Bell] and A.G. Lambert became partners, an association that lasted six years, building and operating a mill at Lebahdo. After a couple of years they moved the location to Taghum." (John Bell's obituary, Nelson Daily News, 5 December 1932)

Source: included with note

Lebahdo is Chinook jargon for "shingle" (Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon; Hibben & Co, Victoria; 1931).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office