Cumberland

Feature Type:Village (1) - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a village municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E end of Comox Lake, SW of Courtenay, Nelson Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°37'07''N, 125°01'57''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/11

Origin Notes and History:

Cumberland City (Post Office & Railway Station) adopted 7 October 1948 as labelled on BC Lands' map 2C, 1913. Form of name changed to Cumberland (Village) 1 January 1958 on 92F, in keeping with the municipality's incorporated status (file F.2.34).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Cumberland (City) adopted 10 July 1923; changed to Cumberland (Town) 12 December 1939; changed to Cumberland (Post Office) 7 October 1948; changed to Cumberland (Village) 1 January 1958 on 92F (Ottawa file OBF 0784).

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa

This settlement was originally named "Union", and the Union Post Office was opened here 1 August 1889. The settlement was renamed in 1891 by James Dunsmuir, after Cumberland County, the mining centre in northern England; the principal avenues (Maryport, Windermere, Penrith, Derwent, Allen and Keswick) were named after places in Cumberland County. Incorporated as a City Municipality 1 January 1898. Union Post Office was renamed Cumberland Post Office 1 April 1898. Since re-incorporated as a Village Municipality (date not cited).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Many of Dunsmuir's miners had come from Cumberland....

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997