Skagit Valley Recreation Area established by Order in Council 4037, 6 December 1973, containing 80,500 acres, including 3700 acres formerly designated as Skagit River Park. Upgraded to provincial park status, to be known as Skagit Valley Park, per OIC 1308, 2 November 1995, containing 27,948 ha. more or less. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation per Bill 17-2000: Protected Areas of British Columbia Act, 29 June 2000; the whole still containing 27,948 ha. more or less. Area expanded per Bill 49: Protected Areas of British Columbia Amendment Act, 31 May 2012, the whole now containing approximately 27,964 hectares.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office