Chutine River

Feature Type:River - Watercourse of variable size, which has tributaries and flows into a body of water or a larger watercourse.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Flows SE into lower Stikine River below Telegraph Creek (community), Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 57°39'10''N, 131°37'56''W at the approximate mouth of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 104G/12
Related Maps: 104F/16
104F/9
104G/12

Origin Notes and History:

Clearwater River adopted in the 1st Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 1898. Name changed to Chutine River in 1935 on Geological Survey sheet 309A, Stikine River Area, as recommended February 1930 by F.A. Kerr, geologist (file S.2.30 and Ottawa file 1274) . Re-approved 6 May 1954 on 104G.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Identified as "Clearwater River" in BC Mines reports, 1904 & 1906; labelled "Clearwater River" on BC map 1H, 1917; labelled "Chutine (Clearwater) River" on BC map 5C, 1929; identified as Clearwater River in the 1930 BC Gazetteer.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

According to 1963 advice from anthropologist Wilson Duff, chutine means "the half-people" - half Tlingit and half Tahltan.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office