Chezacut

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Near junction of Chilcotin and Clusko Rivers, NW of Alexis Creek (community), Range 3 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 52°24'00''N, 124°02'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93C/8

Origin Notes and History:

Chezacut (Post Office & ranching settlement) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, located on the N shore of Chilcotin Lake as labelled on BC map 1G, 1916. Application altered 13 March 1947 on 93SW to 52 25 - 14 02. Form of name changed to Chezacut (community) 17 May 1984 on 93C/8 and application altered to 52 24 - 124 02.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Chezacut Post Office was opened 1 June 1906; closed 20 April 1933. At the time of closing, the Post Office was situated on Lot 9143.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office