Labelled "Du chien Lake" on Trutch's 1871 map of British Columbia. Labelled "Dog Lake" on BC map 1EM, 1915. Labelled "Skaha (Dog) Lake" on BC map 4N, Penticton, published June 1930. Skaha - Indian for dog - the local name for the lake. Change to Skaha 6 October 1930 as agreed by BC Department of Lands' deputy minister H. Cathcart, surveyor general F.C. Green, and chief geographer G.G. Aitken. "Dog Lake (not Skaha Lake)" identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer - presumably at press before BC's instruction was conveyed to the Geographic Board. [note: despite the foregoing there is no evidence in BC files that "Dog Lake" had ever been adopted by formal decision of the Geographic Board of Canada - that name was merely labelled on maps for many years.] Skaha Lake adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 420A, Kettle River.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office