Dadens

Feature Type:Locality - A named place or area, generally with a scattered population of 50 or less.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SE side of Langara Island, Queen Charlotte Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°11'15''N, 132°59'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 103K/2

Origin Notes and History:

Dadens (settlement) adopted 2 June 1949 on C.3868. Form of name changed to Dadens (locality) 2 December 1954 on BC map 2F.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Shown earlier as Tadents and Tadense. In 1789 the village Douglas called Tartanee stood on this site. Small but seemingly prosperous, Tartanee contained several large lodges, totem poles and a cultivated garden patch. Following Douglas's visit, Tartanee was swept by fire. The residents unwilling to rebuild joined the migration to Alaska. Other Haidas took over and for years it remained a seasonal and favourite campsite. It is part of the 16-acre Tatense Reserve and belongs to the Masset Band."

Source: Dalzell, Kathleen E; Queen Charlotte Islands - Book 2: of places and names; Prince Rupert: Cove Press, 1973

"The first description of elaborately carved totem poles at old Tartanee (now Dadens) is credited to [British trader William] Douglas, who added that he had found a patch of cultivated land near this village into which he planted a few bean seeds of his own and '...hoped the people would enjoy the benefits.' "

Source: Dalzell, Kathleen E; Queen Charlotte Islands - Book 2: of places and names; Prince Rupert: Cove Press, 1973