Maple Ridge

Feature Type:City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a city municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side of Fraser River, between Pitt Meadows and Mission District Municipalities., New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°13'12''N, 122°35'56''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/2
Related Maps: 92G/1
92G/2
92G/7
92G/8

Origin Notes and History:

Incorporated 12 September 1874, called Corporation of the District of Maple Ridge. "Maple Ridge (Municipal District)" adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, p.357, as labelled on BC Lands' map 2B, 1914. Maple Ridge (District Municipality) confirmed 11 February 1936 on 92G/2. Letters Patent amended per Order in Council #513, 9 September 2014, to change the status of the incorporated entity from a district municipality to a city municipality, to be known as the City of Maple Ridge, effective 12 September 2014.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Maple Ridge Post Office was opened 1 April 1885; closed 1 November 1886 (residents used Port Haney Post Office, re-named Haney Post Office 1936, further re-named Maple Ridge Post Office 1 April 1970).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After an abundance of maple found on the ridge. (Gosnell Year Book 1897-1901). The municipality received its charter of incorporation in 1874. George Howison kept the first post office, while James Sinclair, now with the BCER at New Westminster, was the first teacher in one of the oldest schoolhouses in the valley. This school was also the town hall until the Council took over the present hall in Haney in 1895.... Maple Ridge also contains the old church built by the Royal Engineers under Colonel Moody at Derby, the proposed site of the new capital on the south bank of the Fraser opposite to Port Haney. Handed over to the Church of England by the authorities of the day and opened March 1859.... In 1884 the church was taken to pieces, ferried over the river and rebuilt on Maple Ridge under the auspices of the Reverend T.H. Gilbert... (see also Vancouver Sun, 4 October 1924 and Vancouver Province 17 July 1924)

Source: Nelson, Denys; Place Names of the Delta of the Fraser River; 1927, unpublished manuscript held in the Provincial Archives