Knutsford

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S side of Kamloops just W of Peterson Creek, Kamloops Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°37'00''N, 120°20'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92I/9

Origin Notes and History:

Knutsford Post Office adopted 7 June 1927 on 92I/NE. Location description altered 24 August 1978 on 92I/NE. Form of name changed to Knutsford (community) 14 January 1983 on 92I/9.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Knutsford was the name given by settler Robert Longridge, who took up ranching in 1912, and named his property after his family seat in Cheshire, England. Not known if Knutsford Post Office (opened 1 May 1913) was named in association with Knutsford Hill, or vice versa....

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office