Strandby

Feature Type:Former Locality - A once-populated place with no current population, or that is usually uninhabited
Status:
Relative Location: Facing Shuttleworth Bight at extreme N end Vancouver Island, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°50'15''N, 128°08'20''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 102I/16

Origin Notes and History:

Strandby Post Office was opened 1 March 1911, situated at Sec 8, Tp 35; closed 17 May 1917.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after a small coastal town on the northeast side of Denmark; presumably the ancestral home of an early settler at Cape Scott. Strandby Post Office and a store are located at the mouth of Cache Creek according to 1917 advice from L.S. Cokely (1917 Sessional Papers; reprinted in "Dreams of Freedon" by Gordon Fish, Provincial Archives' Sound Heritage Series # 36, 1982). "Strandby" is identified in BC Vital Statistics records until at least 1921 (marriage registration of Annie Dykes and Albert Edward Higgins, 27 August 1921, at Strandby, BC, registration # 1921-09-231019); by 1952 all traces of a settlement had vanished.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The name suggested by early settler Ane Marie Shuttleworth, referring to the Danish village of her childhood. (April 2005 advice from North Island historian Ruth Botel)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office