Fort Ware

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: At junction of Finlay and Kwadacha Rivers, NW of N end of Williston Lake, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 57°25'15''N, 125°37'20''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 94F/5

Origin Notes and History:

Fort Ware (Community) adopted 3 February 1988 on 94F/15, as a long-established local name.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Hudson's Bay Company established Whitewater trading post c1927; this was an outpost of Fort Grahame, and originally located at Deserters Canyon farther down the Finlay River; moved to this location near the junction of Fox, Kwadacha and Finlay Rivers. This became a full-fledged post in 1929, re-named Fort Ware in 1938. The HBC trading post closed 31 May 1953. (July 1961 letter from HBC, file 01297).

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Re-named by HBC, after William Ware (1872- ) who had worked for them since 1895, and who served as district manager, BC, 1927-1932.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Sekani name is Tahche (Guzagi K'úgé, published by Kaska Tribal Council, Watson Lake, 1997). Origin/meaning not provided.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office