Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Kincolith Mission is labelled on British Admiralty Chart A2190, 1868. Kincolith (Post Office & Indian Village) adopted in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Kincolith (Post Office) 4 November 1948 on 103NE; confirmed 4 October 1951 on 103I. Form of name changed to Kincolith (Post Office & Steamer Landing) for the 1953 Gazetteer; further changed to Kincolith (Community) 14 January 1983 on 103I/13. Spelling changed to Gingolx (Community) per Nisga'a Treaty, Appendix F-3, effective 11 May 2000.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office
"Kincolith" is the anglicized [spelling] for the Nisga'a name, Gingolx, so-named after an historic battle between the Nisga'a and the Haida, and following which the scalps of the defeated Haida were hung on poles and erected at this site on a rock bluff. This practice was carried out as a warning to any further raids. [Gin/ to feed, present, it could also mean 'place of'; golx/ scalp] This site was originally the clan resource territory of the Gisk'aast, but was later turned over to the village for sustenance. And it was because of its importance as a food source - shellfish, salmon, etc - and its location at the mouth of the oolichan-rich Nass River that the Nisga'a were at times raided by other tribes in the surrounding area (Tsimshian, Haida, Tlingit).
Source: Nisga'a Tribal Council / Ayuukhl Nisga'a Department, Aiyansh BC