Fort Berens

Feature Type:Site - A named place that has historic, geographic or folkloric significance.
Status:
Relative Location: E side Fraser River, opposite Lillooet, Lillooet Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°41'20''N, 121°55'00''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92I/12

Origin Notes and History:

Hudson's Bay Company trading post established in 1859, located on Lot 607, and so-identified on 1859 "Sketch of Part of British Columbia" by Lieut R.C. Mayne, RN. Note that on that map, the Indian village called Lillooet was at the south end of Lillooet Lake, and the small settlement opposite Fort Berens was identified as Cayoush.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after Henry Hulse Berens, who had served as deputy HBC governor 1856-58, then as governor 1858-63. See History of Lillooet, Vancouver Province, 8 December 1956 (file A.1.36)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office