Fort Stager

Feature Type:Fort - Fortified structure built to protect a strategic site.
Relative Location: At Kispiox, W bank of Skeena River N of Hazelton, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 55°21'05''N, 127°41'35''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 93M/5

Origin Notes and History:

"Fort Stager, see Kispiox" (1930 BC Gazetteer) see also December 1970 - February 1971 correspondence on BC file H.1.50.

Source: included with note

Referring to events in 1866: "From [Hagwilget on the Bulkley River] the telegraph crossed over to the junction of the Skeena and Kispiox rivers; and near the present village of Kispiox the Western Union Extension crew built one of their stations, Fort Stager. This was as far as the line was ever placed in operation. Construction was carried about 25 miles up the Kispiox River (which was known for a time as the Collins River), but the wire simply ended in the wilderness. [Fort Stager] named after General Anson Stager, General Superintendant of United States Military Telegraphs, under whom Bulkley had served." (BC Historical Quarterly, vol X, July 1946, p.209). Fort Stager was kept manned until 1869, when John McCutcheon, the last operator there, abandoned the station (ibid: 214) "The telegraph first came to the Province as a result of the celebrated Collins' Overland venture, which aimed to connect the United States and Europe by means of a wire running through British Columbia, Alaska, and Siberia. The Collins' line (also known as the Western Union Extension) was completed to New Westminster in time to bring the news of the assassination of President Lincoln over the wires on April 18, 1865. Construction northward continued rapidly, and before work stopped in 1866 the line had reached Fort Stager, on the Kispiox River. Though the portion north of Quesnel was soon abandoned, a branch line was run into Barkerville, and the newspapers at the Coast were thus able to keep in close touch with the chief centres of population then existing in the Interior." (BC Historical Quarterly, vol IX, July 1945, p.189)

Source: included with note