Gambier Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N of Bowen Island in Howe Sound, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°29'35''N, 123°23'35''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/6
Related Maps: 92G/11
92G/6

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 7 December 1937 on 92G/6.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Named after Admiral of the Fleet James, Lord Gambier (1756-1833). As captain of H.M.S. Defense he took part in the victory of "The Glorious First of June" in 1794, where he demonstrated that the puritanical regime which he imposed on his crew did not keep them from fighting effectively. He was appointed rear-admiral in 1798 and vice-admiral in 1799. In 1807 he became commander-in-chief of the Baltic Fleet, and bombarded Copenhagen into surrender in the same year.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; 1001 British Columbia Place Names; Discovery Press, Vancouver 1969, 1970, 1973.

The original name is Cha7élkwnech. This name refers to the deep protected bays that the island offers. Gambier was a celebrated deer hunting area by the Squamish People and was extensively used for resource gathering at places such as Yuuq-quawkl-ka (Avalon Bay), Ho-mahmk (Brigade Bay), Ch'á7elsm (Halkett Bay) and many other locations of importance. St'áp'as (Andy's Bay) is a site on the island where Mink and his sister Skunk hosted a potlatch and deceived guests by transforming their longhouse and its occupants into stone. (December 2011 from: Cultural Journey Sea-to-Sky Corridor website, Squamish and Lil'wat First Nations)

Source: included with note