Gambier Harbour

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SW end of Gambier Island, in Howe Sound, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°26'26''N, 123°25'55''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92G/6

Origin Notes and History:

Gambier Harbour (Post Office and Steamer Landing) adopted 4 October 1945 on C.3577, as labelled on BC Lands' map 2A, 1938. Form of name changed to Gambier Harbour (Post Office) 21 November 1963. Form of name changed to Gambier Harbour (community) 17 May 1979.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Grace Harbour Post Office was opened 12 October 1937, located on the north shore of Grace Harbour just east of the wharf. Name changed to Gambier Island Post Office 9 April 1938. Name changed to Gambier Harbour Post Office 3 October 1941. Former USS service to Gambier Harbour discontinued (date not cited) and connection is by water taxi from Langdale via New Brighton, as required. Gambier Harbour Post Office relocated 350 yds north (inland) 1 November 1965. Gambier Harbour Post Office closed 16 August 1974.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office