St. Leon

Feature Type:Settlement - Any permanently occupied, unincorporated area normally identified by a single name, generally rural, and having a recognizable central focus.
Status:
Relative Location: E side of Upper Arrow Lake, at mouth of St. Leon Creek, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°26'00''N, 117°53'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 82K/5

Origin Notes and History:

Leon (settlement) adopted in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924. Subsequently changed to St. Leon (steamer landing & settlement). "St. Leon (not Leon, Leon Hot Springs, nor St. Leon Hot Springs), steamer landing & settlement" identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer. Name rescinded 9 May 1974 following expansion of Upper Arrow Lake behind the Columbia River dams.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

There is a medicinal spring here and it is understood that it was named after the spring of that name in the Province of Quebec. File 0022.

Source: Canadian Geographical Names Database, Ottawa

St. Leon Hot Springs were first taken up by M.M. Grady of Revelstoke, in 1894. He replaced the first little humble hotel by a handsome big one in 1901. It soon drew a splendid patronage from all over the Kootenays. In the first hard year of the war, Mr. Grady had reluctantly closed the hotel and disconnected the hot-water flow. Not to be denied, Revelstokers begged him to plan a portion of this 320 acres as a townsite where they could erect cottages or camp tents of their own. He did this in 1918, and in a little while 10 nice cottages were built, while others bought lots to camp and later build on. See also St. Leon Hot Springs.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office