Goldstream

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just W of Langford Lake on S side of Goldstream River, W of Victoria, Goldstream Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°27'27''N, 123°33'05''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/5

Origin Notes and History:

Goldstream (village) adopted in the 15th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1917. Form of name changed to Goldstream (station) in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, located on E&NR just west of Langford Lake. Name rescinded 19 December 1984. Re-instated as Goldstream (community) 24 April 2006 on 92B/5 - this is a well-known name that should be labelled on maps.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Gold Stream was so-named in 1858 when Peter Leech found gold-bearing gravel in the stream; his discovery precipitated a small gold rush, and by 1864 upwards of 300 men were working on Goldstream River. Goldstream Post Office was opened 1 May 1886.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office