Porteau Cove Park established by Order in Council 1672, 24 July 1981. Expanded per OIC 323/86. Redescribed per OIC 327/87. Name changed to Porteau Cove Marine Park 22 August 1988 on 92G/11. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation and name changed back to Porteau Cove Park per Bill 17-2000: Protected Areas of British Columbia Act, 29 June 2000; the whole containing 50.026 hectares (4.526 hectares of upland and 45.50 hectares of foreshore) more or less. The adjoining area formerly designated as Porteau Cove Recreation Area is amalgamated into Porteau Cove Park per Bill 49-2012: Protected Areas of British Columbia Amendment Act, 31 May 2012; the whole now containing 56 hectares (4 hectares of upland and 52 hectares of foreshore).
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office