Dollis Creek

Feature Type:Creek (1) - Watercourse, usually smaller than a river.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Flows N across BC-Yukon boundary into Tatshenshini River, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 59°59'59"N, 137°07'04"W at the approximate mouth of this feature.
Datum: WGS84
NTS Map: 114P/14

Origin Notes and History:

Squaw Creek adopted 4 November 1953 on Geological Survey of Canada sheet 115A, Yukon Territory, as labelled on 1932 map by geologist J.T. Mandy, BC Mines Department. About half the 5-mile length is in British Columbia. Squaw Creek rescinded 8 December 2000. Dollis Creek adopted in this location 15 January 2008, being the established name for the downstream (Yukon) portion of this creek, and as identified in the 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924, and in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, and as labelled on Geological Survey sheet 218A, Atlin, 1930.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Dollis Creek... named by J.N. Wallace, DLS, after a stream in a northern suburb of London, England." [James Nevin Wallace, DLS, had charge of surveying the boundary between British Columbia and Yukon Territory in 1907 & 1908. (Report...Boundary between British Columbia and the Yukon and Northwest Territories, Department of Mines & Technical Surveys, Ottawa, 1966.) No evidence that surveyor Wallace was in this area prior to 1907.]

Source: 18th Report of the Geographic Board of Canada, 31 March 1924 (supplement to the Annual Report of the Dept of the Interior, 1924, Ottawa)

The creek had been called Dollis Creek by miners around 1898 but had been long abandoned when Paddy Duncan, a prospector from Champagne and Klusku, located gold in this stream in 1927, and renamed it Squaw Creek. (Yukon Places and Names, by Robert Coutts, Gray's Publishing Ltd, Sidney, 1980); "...the name is Dollis Creek in the Yukon..." (January 2001 letter from Superintendent, Kluane National Park, file T.3.54)

Source: included with note