Annieville

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status: Lookup the official name
Relative Location: In Delta District Municipality, E of Annacis Island, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°10'00''N, 122°55'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92G/2

Origin Notes and History:

Annieville (Settlement) adopted 8 July 1948 on C.3431. Confirmed 3 July 1952 on 92G/2. Form of name changed to Annieville (community) 15 May 1981 on 92G/2. Name changed to North Delta (community) 4 January 1985 on 92G/2.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Annieville Post Office opened 16 June 1909, Nel Alfred Jenson, postmaster; closed 30 June 1913.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After Annie, wife of Fergus Laidlaw, one of the early owners of the cannery which operated here for many years. After Laidlaw's death, Annie married Peter Behrill.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

In 1871 James Symes and his wife Annie were with a party in a boat looking for a suitable cannery site. A likely looking place was found, but the shallowness of the water prevented them from landing the boat. Mrs. Symes then waded ashore while somebody shouted "Annie will make it". The first cannery on the Fraser River was subsequently built here, and the settlement named Annieville.

Source: Akrigg, Helen B. and Akrigg, G.P.V; British Columbia Place Names; Sono Nis Press, Victoria 1986 /or University of British Columbia Press 1997