Rugged Point Park was established by Order in Council 1190, 10 August 1989, containing 518 ha. Form of name changed to Rugged Point Marine Park and area reduced per OIC 1245, 29 September 1994, the whole now containing 308 ha. more or less. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation, and area expanded per Bill 86, Park Amendment Act 1999, 28 June 1999, the whole containing approximately 349 hectares (162 hectares of upland and 187 hectares of foreshore).
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office