Fort St. James National Historic Site of Canada

Feature Type:National Historic Site - A place declared to be of national historic interest or significance by the Minister responsible for the administration of the Historic Sites and Monuments Act of Canada.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: In Village of Fort St. James, NW of Prince George, Range 5 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 54°26'25''N, 124°15'20''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 93K/8

Origin Notes and History:

Designated by Parks Canada in 1948 as a National Historic Site; plaque installed in 1952. Fort St. James National Historic Site and lieu historique national du Fort-St. James are identified in "Canada's Geographical Names Approved in English and in French", published by Canadian Permanent Committee on Geographical Names, August 1994. The French form of the name was subsequently corrected to "Lieu historique national..." (ie. upper case L ). The expanded forms Fort St. James National Historic Site of Canada and Lieu historique national du Canada du Fort-St. James are identified in "Canada's Geographical Names Approved in English and French" published August 2003 by the Geographical Names Board of Canada.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Founded by Simon Fraser in 1806, Fort St. James was instrumental in the fur trade history of the Pacific Slope. The fort was also the principal point of contact between fur traders and the Carrier people. For most of its history, the Fort was the headquarters of the fur trade district of New Caledonia in the northern interior of British Columbia......." (Parks Canada National Historic Sites website, June 1999). See also NHS brochure for additional interpretive history)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office