Van Anda

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E. side of Texada Island, Texada Island Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°45'30''N, 124°33'00''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92F/15

Origin Notes and History:

"Vananda (post office & settlement), not Van Anda" was adopted 6 March 1913; changed to Vananda (Community) 15 March 1983 on 92F/15. Form of the name changed to Van Anda (Community) 11 September 1992 on 92F/15, to respect entrenched local usage.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

"Van Anda (cove) and Van Anda appears on British Admiralty Chart & Pilot and is used locally. Recommend Vananda in keeping with name of Post Office." (6 March 1913 notation on name card in Ottawa; chart title and date not cited). Vananda Post Office opened 1 June 1897; an early photograph of the post office spells the name in upper-case letters, with no spaces.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named after the Van Anda Copper & Gold Mining Company, which company owned 840 acres on the northeast side of the island, including the "Copper Queen" claim here; president Edward Blewitt, Seattle capitalist and miner who named both his son and his mining company after his friend Carl Van Anda, a well-known New York City journalist in the 1870's.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office