Established by Order in Council 1529, 26 June 1957, as a Class B Provincial Park. Upgraded to a Class A Provincial Park per OIC 697, 31 March 1983. Area increased per OIC 1254/85, and per OIC 327/87, and per OIC 1183/89, 10 August 1989, the whole now containing 25,691 hectares more or less. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation per Bill 17-2000: Protected Areas of British Columbia Act, 29 June 2000; the whole now containing 25,690 ha. more or less.
Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office