Cape Scott

Feature Type:Cape - Prominent elevated projection of land extending into a body of water.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: NW extremity of Vancouver Island, Rupert Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 50°47'08''N, 128°25'47''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 102I/16

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 13 March 1947 on C.3688, as labelled on British Admiralty Chart #582, 1864 et seq. Colonized in 1897 by Danish settlers who lived at Hansons Lagoon. However, because of stormy seas and a lack as access by land, most of them had abandonded the cape by 1907.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Named in 1786 by Captain Laurie and Captain Guise, of the vessels Captain Cook and Experiment, after David Scott, a merchant of Bombay, who assisted in fitting out this fur trading expedition from that port. The supercargo [officer in charge] on this voyage was James Charles Stuart Strange, of the East India Company.

Source: Walbran, John T; "British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: Their Origin and History"; published for the Geographic Board of Canada, Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)

The area was colonized in 1897 by Danish settlers who lived at Hansen Lagoon. However, because of stormy seas and a lack as access by land, most of them had abandonded the cape by 1907.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.