Courtenay

Feature Type:City - A populated place with legally defined boundaries, incorporated as a city municipality under the provincial Municipal Act.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Between Comox and Campbell River, E side of Vancouver Island, Comox Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°41'22''N, 124°59'45''W at the approximate location of the Municipal Hall.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92F/10
Related Maps: 92F/10
92F/11

Origin Notes and History:

Incorporated as a City municipality 1 January 1915; confirmed 10 July 1923 on Ottawa file OBF 0784.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Townsite laid out in 1891, named in association with the adjacent Courtenay River. Courtenay Post Office was opened 1 July 1893. See also the municipality's own website.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

After Captain (later Rear Admiral) George William Conway Courtenay, HMS Constance, 50 guns; on this station 1846-49....

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)