Estevan Group

Feature Type:Islands - Land area surrounded by water or marsh. Plural of Island.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W of Campania Island, between Banks and Aristazabal Islands, Range 4 Coast Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 53°02'20''N, 129°38'28''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 103H/4
Related Maps: 103A/13
103H/4

Origin Notes and History:

Estevan Islands adopted 6 April 1926 on C324, as labelled on Briitsh Admiralty Chart #1923A, 1867 et seq. Form of name changed to Estevan Group 3 February 1950 on C.3724. (file H.1.26 pt.1)

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

The largest of the islands were individually named North Island, South Island, East Island & West Island, 5 December 1933 on Ottawa file OBF 1420. Names changed 3 February 1950 on C.3724 to Trutch, Dewdney, Lotbinière, Barnard respectively, as recommended by Hydrographic Service to avoid confusion caused by duplication.

Source: BC place name cards, files, correspondence and/or research by BC Chief Geographer/Geographical Names Office.

Named in 1744 by Lieutenant Commander Juan Perez, of the corvette Santiago, after his lieutenant Estevan Jose Martinez....

Source: Walbran, John T; "British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: Their Origin and History"; published for the Geographic Board of Canada, Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)