Dease Lake

Feature Type:Community - An unincorporated populated place, generally with a population of 50 or more, and having a recognized central area that might contain a post office, store and/or community hall, etc, intended for the use of the general public in the region.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: S end of Dease Lake, Cassiar Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 58°26'00''N, 130°01'27''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 104J/8

Origin Notes and History:

Lake House (Landing) identified in the 1930 BC Gazetteer, located at 58° 28' - 130° 02'. Form of name changed to Lake House (HBC Post and Settlement) 1 June 1937 on Ottawa file OBF 1530. Name changed to Dease Lake (settlement) 28 December 1944 on 104NE. Confirmed 14 August 1952 on 104J. Identified as Dease Lake (Post Office) in the 1973 supplement to the BC Gazetteer. Coordinates altered in July 1976 to 58° 26' 00" - 130° 01' 27" on 104J. Form of name changed to Dease Lake (community) 15 December 1982 on 104J/8. Confirmed 15 February 1983 on 104J/8.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Porter Landing Post Office was opened 1 July 1920, located at the north end of Dease Lake. Relocated 28 miles south, to the south end of Dease Lake where the settlement was located (date of move not cited); name changed to Dease Lake Post Office 1 June 1930. Labelled "Dease Landing" in BC Mines Report, 1933, map opp p.A64). Dease Lake Post Office closed 1 April 1934. Dease Lake Post Office re-established 3 February 1972.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Dease Lake so-named in 1934 by John McLeod, chief trader Hudson's Bay company. Dease Lake Trading Post was opened 1838; by 1925 the post was known as Lake House HBC Post.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office