Copper Mountain

Feature Type:Abandoned Locality - A previously populated place with no current population.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: E side of Similkameen River, S of Princeton, Similkameen Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°19'30''N, 120°32'20''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92H/7

Origin Notes and History:

Copper Mountain (Post Office) adopted 6 October 1936 on Geological Survey sheet 421A, Hope. Form of name changed to Copper Mountain (Post Office & Station) 5 November 1953 on 92H/SE; changed to Copper Mountain (settlement) 18 December 1968 on 92H/SE; changed to Copper Mountain (locality) 31 October 1980; changed to Copper Mountain (abandoned locality) 20 March 1992 on 92H/7.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Voights Camp Post Office was opened 16 December 1912, located on Copper Mountain 9 miles south of Princeton; name changed to Copper Mountain Post Office 1 November 1914, in association with Canada Copper Corporation's Copper Mountain Mine, in operation here from 1911. Labelled "Copper Mountain (Voight Camp)" on BC Lands' map 2B, 1914. Post Office relocated 7 miles closer to Princeton and renamed Allenby Post Office 1 December 1918, in association with the new Allenby townsite built near the mine's concentrator facility. A new post office named Copper Mountain Post Office was opened on the mountain 1 July 1919 (exact position not cited); relocated to the Belle Fraction, Lot 4204, 6 July 1926; closed 1 July 1936; re-opened 12 July 1937, located on the access road southwest of Copper Farm mineral claim, Lot 122A, T.H. Bamforth, postmaster. Copper Mountain Post Office closed 17 July 1957. KVR Station closed in 1958.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office