Kilby Park

Feature Type:Provincial Park - Legally defined land area, under provincial jurisdiction, for camping, outdoor recreation, and preservation of wildlife.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: N side Fraser River, just N of mouth of Harrison River, New Westminster Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°14'18''N, 121°57'49''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92H/4

Origin Notes and History:

Kilby Historic Park established by Order in Council #2919, 28 August 1973. Kilby Historic Park cancelled and the property separated into two sites per Orders in Council #1950 and #1946, both 20 October 1988, to be known as Kilby Park (Provincial Park) and Kilby General Store Museum (Provincial Heritage Property). Kilby Park (Provincial Park) converted from OIC to Statute designation per Bill 17-2000: Protected Areas of British Columbia Act, 29 June 2000; the whole containing 3 ha. more or less.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

In 1904 Thomas Kilby built a general store here to serve workers from the nearby Rat Portage Sawmill and workers at Harrison Mills across the river - the largest shingle sawmill in the province. Thomas' son, Acton, took over the business in the 1920's and ran the artifact-filled store until 1976. See also Kilby General Store Museum.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office