Blakeburn

Feature Type:Abandoned Locality - A previously populated place with no current population.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SW. of junction of Granite Creek and Tulameen River, Yale Division Yale Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°28'55''N, 120°44'05''W at the approximate population centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD27
NTS Map: 92H/7

Origin Notes and History:

Blakeburn (Post Office) adopted 6 October 1936 on 92H. Form of name changed to Blakeburn (locality) in the 1966 BC Gazetteer. Form of name changed to Blakeburn (Abandoned Locality) 7 February 1992 on 92H/7.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

The Post Office was named c1923 at the suggestion of William John ("Blake") Wilson, after himself. Post Office closed 15 June 1940.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Wilson was the Vancouver manager of P. Burns & Co, meat packers and dealers; Patrick Burns (1856-1937) of Calgary was the founder of the business, later a Senator. Together they were the largest shareholders (and listed as President and Vice President, respectively) of Coalmount Collieries Ltd operating here c1920, promotors of the Enterprise Coal Mine. Wilson was prominent in Vancouver's business community; died at Vancouver 22 June 1934.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Blakeburn has long been a ghost town, however the community site is well known to area residents; Princeton Chamber of Commerce maps and literature refer to "Blakeburn Site". (February 1992 advice from Governemnt Agent, Princeton)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office