Piers Island

Feature Type:Island - Land area surrounded by water or marsh.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: Just N of Swartz Bay ferry terminal in Satellite Channel, between Saanich Peninsula and Saltspring Island, Cowichan Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°42'00''N, 123°25'00''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/11

Origin Notes and History:

Piers Island (NOT Pier Island) was adopted 1 March 1910 on Ottawa file OBF 0177.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named c1858 by Captain Pender, RN, after Henry Piers, RN ( - 1902), surgeon aboard HMS Satellite, Captain Prevost. Staff surgeon, 1850; surgeon on the Investigator, Captain M'Clure, when the Northwest Passage was discovered, 26 October 1850; served on the Pacific station, 1857-60; deputy inspector, Hospitals and Fleets, retired, 1873; died 1902... (see Walbran for additional biographical details.)

Source: Walbran, John T; British Columbia Coast Names, 1592-1906: their origin and history; Ottawa, 1909 (republished for the Vancouver Public Library by J.J. Douglas Ltd, Vancouver, 1971)

One-time Leper colony. Large scale map of Piers Island, 1933, indicating location of men's and women's compounds on file S.2.33

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office