Cadboro Bay

Feature Type:Bay - Water area in an indentation of the shoreline of a sea, lake, or large river.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: SE side Saanich municipality, just E of Victoria, Victoria Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 48°27'05''N, 123°17'18''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 92B/6

Origin Notes and History:

Adopted 12 June 1934 on National Defence sheet, Victoria, as labelled on J.D. Pemberton's map "Southeastern Districts of Vancouver Island", 1855, and on BC map 2A, 1913. (Ottawa file OBF 1449)

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Named c1842 by officers of the Hudson's Bay Company, after the HBC brigantine Cadboro, under Captain Scarborough, the first vessel to anchor in the bay. Note that her log book and journal (copies of which are in the Provincial Archives) confirm the spelling "Cadboro".

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office