Drewry Point Park

Feature Type:Provincial Park - Legally defined land area, under provincial jurisdiction, for camping, outdoor recreation, and preservation of wildlife.
Status:
Name Authority: BC Geographical Names Office
Relative Location: W side Kootenay Lake, SE of Nelson, Kootenay Land District
Latitude-Longitude: 49°24'55''N, 116°48'40''W at the approximate centre of this feature.
Datum: NAD83
NTS Map: 82F/7

Origin Notes and History:

Established by Order in Council 1712, 5 May 1970. Boundary changed per OIC 1600, 4 May 1971. Conversion of OIC to Statute designation per Bill 86, Park Amendment Act 1999, 28 June 1999, the whole containing 26 hectares more or less.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office

Drewry Point was identified in 1947 (when the park report was first made) as a well-established local name for a small promontory here; by the time the park was established in 1970 and a large scale plan was being drawn, Parks Branch no longer knew exactly WHICH of several small points along the shoreline was the namesake feature.

Source: BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office